The Education Foundation is the UK’s first independent, cross sector, education think tank. Our work is focused on innovation, what works and education reform as well as helping to tackle the biggest policy changes affecting the education sector.
Our vision for the Education Foundation is bold and ambitious.
We want to help create a world class British education system that harnesses the potential of schools, colleges, universities and businesses across the UK
Key areas for the Foundation in its first year of work have been:
- Fostering discussion and debate about the future of education in the UK
- Creating a national debate about education reform, at both strategic and teacher level, drawing on learning and experiences of countries across the globe
- Building collaborative networks among leaders, thinkers and policy-makers across the private, public and not-for-profit sectors
- Undertaking research into the challenges and opportunities facing the education system
- Developing new policy ideas that foster practical social and education innovation
- Creating and commissioning projects, programmes of work, and publications, that demonstrate what works in practice in schools, colleges and universities
- Drawing on the best ideas and thinking from around the UK to impact positively on education in schools, colleges and universities
The Education Foundation was founded in November 2011 by Ian Fordham and Ty Goddard who between them have 30 years experience working in education policy and practice across the UK and internationally. They have a successful track record in setting up and leading innovative national organisations, advising the government on current and future policy and are recognised experts in scaling up education projects and initiatives across the country.
They created the Education Foundation as the UK’s first cross party, cross sector education think tank with a passion to help create a more open and connected education system. Since its launch, the organisation has received the following positive feedback:
“The Education Foundation is a ‘petri dish’ of ideas that will not only help shape the future of education but also change the way think tanks operate for good” Rohan Silva, Senior Policy Adviser to the Prime Minister
“At this critical juncture, it’s vital that there is serious, thoughtful debate about our future. I’m delighted that The Education Foundation has brought together so many great minds to do just that”, Rt Hon Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Education
“We have welcomed the robust and thoughtful debate that has accompanied our reforms, it has undoubtedly improved the policies now being implemented. The formation of The Education Foundation is a very positive step in ensuring that this debate continues. I wish you every success” Rt Hon Dr Vince Cable MP, Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills
“I welcome this important contribution to the debate on Education reform. High standards and rigour in our education system are imperative if we are to make sure that all young people get the best start in life.I look forward to working with the Education Foundation in the debate on reform”, Stephen Twigg MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Education
“Ian Fordham and Ty Goddard are without doubt two of the UK’s leading innovators and entrepreneurs”, Dr Anthony Seldon, Master, Wellington College
We are a not-for-profit social enterprise funded, in our ‘start-up’ stage, by a combination of: co-founder investment, demonstration projects with schools, colleges and universities; commissioned research from charitable foundations; sponsored roundtables and events; and funding from leading businesses for our Learning Lab project. If you want to work with us and support our work, please visit the Support us section of this site.